How Do I....?
For general information about OrgSync, including how to setup a website, send messages, manage groups, etc., visit OrgSync's Help Desk. The Help Desk includes great resources, including HOW TO videos, and other resources, which can help you take full advantage of the great tools OrgSync offers student organizations.
- How do I start an organization?
- How do I know if my group is Independent or University?
- How do I find an advisor?
- How do I edit information I already submitted?
- How do I submit a constitution if I didn't during the registration process?
- How do I change my profile picture/image?
- How do I find money for my organization/event?
- How do I create a website for my group?
- How do I RENEW my student organization for the current year?
- How do I reserve rooms for meetings/events?
- How do I know if/when my group is approved?
- How do I know who the administrators of my group are? How can I add/change administrators?
- How do I change the name of my student organization?
1. How do I start an organization?
Follow the link on the left to 'Register/Renew Organization.' Read through all of the information (guidelines, policies & procedures), and then continue on to the registration form. Be sure to read through all of the information - most of your questions will likely be answered in that document.
2. How do I know if my group is Independent or University?
Click here to determine if your group is Independent or University
3. How do I find an advisor?
Advisors must be full-time faculty or staff members at Cornell University. Independent organizations are responsible for finding a faculty/staff member who are willing to volunteer their time to serve as your organization's advisor. Since university organizations are part of a university department, that department will have an advisor assigned to work with the organization.
4. How do I edit information I already submitted?
Once you submit your club's registration, you won't be able to make any changes/updates until your club receives preliminary approval from the Campus Activities Office. This is typically done within one (1) business day. Once you've received preliminary approval, the person who registered will receive an email notification. After that, an officer/administrator for the group can log in to OrgSync (http://www.orgsync.com) and edit/update information.
After logging in, find your organization and go to your organization's portal (main page). On your organization page, click on the 'Profile' tab, and scroll to the bottom of the page. You should see a button that says 'Manage Profile' (if you do not see that button, then you are not an administrator, and not authorized to make changes). Click the 'Manage Profile' button, and you will then see your entire profile, along with a green box at the top of the page that says 'Update and Renew Profile.' Click the green box to continue to update your information. When editing your profile, be sure to go all the way through the process (click 'Next' at the bottom of each page) until you have finished.
5. How do I submit a constitution if I didn't during the registration process?
Follow the directions above for editing your profile (#4). Continue clicking 'Next' until you reach the Constitution page. Be sure to continue to click the 'Next' button at the bottom until you have finished.
6. How do I change my profile picture/image?
Follow the directions above for editing your profile (#4). After clicking the 'edit' button, there will be an option to upload an image in the top right corner of your page. You can use .JPG .GIF or .PNG format (10MB size limit). The recommended size is 150x150.
7. How do I find money for my organization/event?
Most organizations are eligible to apply for funding from the Student Assembly Finance Commission (SAFC) or the Graduate & Professional Student Assembly Finance Commission (GPSAFC). Some student organizations and/or departments may provide funding for events. Click the 'Funding' link for more information and links to funding resources.
8. How do I create a website for my group?
As part of the registration process, each organization is provided with web space. Once you are in your profile, you will have access to a website template that you may edit and customize to your group. Each group has access to a number of different 'modules' including a calendar, on-line forms, event registration, etc. For information on OrgSync's website builder, visit the OrgSync Website Help Page.
9. How do I RENEW my student organization for the current year?
If your student organization was registered during the last academic year, you do not need to reregister the organization. Instead, you simply need to RENEW your organization.
FIRST, be sure your organization was registered last year. If your organization was registered last year, here's what you'll need to do in order to renew for this year:
- ONLY GROUP ADMINISTRATORS MAY RENEW AN ORGANIZATION. To check to see who the administrators are, find your organization at Cornell's Undergrad OrgSync page. For Graduate/Professional groups, go to Cornell's Grad-Prof OrgSync Page to locate your organization. Once you've landed on your group's page, click on the PEOPLE link in the top navigation menu, and then click on the heading ALL PEOPLE (near the top left side of the page) and select the group called ADMINISTRATORS. The people listed there are the administrators of your group, and have the ability to renew your organization and make updates/changes. For more information about granting administrative access to members, see #12 below.
- Next, be sure you are at your HOME page. You should see a bright orange box indicating that your attention is needed to update your profile. Click the UPDATE NOW box to continue. You will then be taken through the registration process with all of the fields filled in with your organization's information. Update any necessary field(s) (officers, contact info, past events, description, etc.). Be sure to complete all pages until you reach the final page and see the FINISH button. Click the FINISH button, and your renewal request will be submitted.
10. How do I reserve rooms for meetings/events?
Each building/room has its own policies, and information about reservations. For a list of buildings and contact people, go to https://registrar.cornell.edu/spaces. For information on reserving space in one of the Community Centers, Campus Life, Willard Straight Hall, Carol Tatkon Center, or CALS, use the R25 Reservation System. Note that most on-going classroom reservations are done by semester. Check with the building coordinator for information on your reservation.
11. How do I know if/when my group is approved?
After your group registers using OrgSync, a representatives from the Campus Activities Office will give temporary approval to the organization (assuming the organization is legitimate, and the basic information is provided). An email will be sent indicating this preliminary approval. However, the organization will continue to be 'Pending' until all officers and the advisor have submitted the appropriate electronic forms, or hard copy agreements (for Sport Clubs only). To see if your group is Pending or Approved, follow the link to 'Search Organizations' and find your group. The first field under 'Organization Contact' will be 'Registration Status.'
- Locate your organization in OrgSync
- Click on the PEOPLE module near the top of the page
- On the left side of the page, click on the heading ALL PEOPLE, and select ADMINISTRATORS
- These people all have administrative access to your group
To add/remove someone as an administrator:
- Locate your organization in OrgSync
- Click on the PEOPLE module
- Select the person's name from the list so that the box next to their name is checked (if the person's name is not listed, then you need to ask them to join your organization)
- Under the PROFILE tab on the right, click on MANAGE (under BASIC DETAILS), and select the ADMINISTRATORS group.
13. How do I change the name of my student organization?
The name of a student organization can only be changed by a staff member in the Campus Activities Office. Please email your request to email@example.com, or stop by 521 Willard Straight Hall.
Campus Activities Office
5th Floor, Willard Straight Hall
Ithaca, NY 14853